playABILITIES for sensational kidsJoshua Center for Neurological Disorders changing lives since 1996
playABILITIES has partnered with the Joshua Center to provide occupational and speech therapy services to families within the Joshua Center. Occupational Therapy helps people engage in everyday activities (or occupations) to the best of their ability. Whether it's eating, sleeping, working, dressing, academics, playing, socializing or participating in leisure activities, our ability to participate and engage fully in these daily activities can have a major impact on our overall quality of life.
Occupational therapists are experts at breaking down activities to discover where and why an individual may be struggling with it. From there, goals are developed in a collaborative effort with the primary focus being centered around increasing independence and quality of performance, which often leads to increased confidence and self-worth.
Description of Services
- Sensory Processing/Behavior (i.e. over responsive or under responsive to sensory stimuli, following directions)
- Gross Motor Skills (i.e. balance, catching/throwing, coordinated large motor movements)
- Fine Motor Skills (i.e. fasteners/zipping, handwriting, typing, cutting, opening/closing containers, tying shoes)
- Visual Perceptual Skills (i.e. copying, transposing/reversing, spelling, spacing, writing on the lines)
- Self-Care (independence with daily living tasks i.e. dressing, cleaning, laundry, money management, time management, leisure choices)
- Health (i.e. diet/nutrition, sleep, hygiene, exercise, social participation)
- Vocational Tasks (employment related tasks i.e. sorting, following a work schedule, filling out applications, interviewing)
- Executive Functioning Skills (i.e. motivation, memory, initiating, planning, problem solving, organization)